The fruits, leaves and flowers of Drumstick tree, otherwise known as "Moringa oleifera" can be used in cooking healthy and delicious dishes in the kitchen.
Here is a simple recipe to make a stir fry from the flowers of Drumstick tree.
Step 1: Harvest the Flowers
During flowering season, you can find lots of flowers in bunches on the tree. Most of them do not turn into fruits.
- Harvest a handful of fresh flowers
- Remove the stems and wash the flowers in clean water.
- Drain out the water as keep the flowers aside
Step 2: Ingredients
- One medium sized onion cleaned and chopped
- Grated coconut from 1/4th of a fresh coconut
Step 3: Preparation
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds and one or two red chilies broken into pieces to the hot oil
- Add the chopped onions and cook till golden brown
Step 4: Add Murunga Flowers
- Now add the cleaned Murunga flowers to the pan and mix well with the onions
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover the pan and cook over medium flame for about 8 to 10 minutes
Step 5: Add Grated Coconut
- Remove the cover and add grated coconut to the cooked flowers
- Mix well and remove from stove.
Stir fried Murunga flowers are ready. You can use it as a normal vegetable with rice, chapati and bread.