Introduction: Mushroom Spinach Ricotta Pie
This take on a savoury pie mixes some of my favourite flavours that I grew up with.
You can keep this pie strictly vegetarian as set out in the following steps or add some sautéed bacon, pancetta or prosciutto!
Step 1: Prepare Crust
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used a flavoured salt which included rosemary and thyme - you may substitute this for regular salt and a pinch of these dried herbs if you so desire)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 to 4 Tbsp ice water
1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to “crumble” the butter pieces into the flour. The mixture should resemble coarse meal, with pea sized chunks of butter.
2. Mix a few tablespoons of the ice water into the flour mixture at a time until it starts to clump together. You should be able to pinch the mixture together so it holds. 3. Place on a clean work surface and knead the dough just enough to form a disk. 4. Sprinkle the dough with flour, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. 5. Remove the dough from fridge 5-10 minutes before rolling out. Roll out to fit your pie plate leaving a one inch over hang. Crimp edges of the crust. 6. Pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times. Place a piece of parchment paper on the dough. Place pie weights on top of the parchment. 7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Or until light and golden. 8. Remove from oven and let cool.
Step 2: Prepare Ricotta Filling
1 container of ricotta cheese (approximately 450 g)
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of fresh spinach steamed
1. Purée or roughly chop the spinach - this is dependant on your preference. I puréed mine for a smoother texture.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients until incorporated.
3. Set aside.
Step 3: Prepare Mushrooms
2 8oz packages of mushrooms of your choice, sliced
2 tablespoons parsley chopped.
1 clove of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Approximately 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
1. Place oil or butter into a frying pan or skillet. Heat over medium high heat.
2. Crush or finely chop the garlic and sauté until aromatic. Add the mushrooms and sauté until brown. Season to taste. It is important that you do not salt the mushrooms until they are browned, as the salt will draw out the moisture in the mushrooms and extend the cooking time.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped parsley. Set aside.
Step 4: Assemble and Bake Your Pie
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Spread the ricotta mixture on the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Top with the mushroom mixture
3. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the ricotta mixture is just firm.
4. Cool for 10 - 15 minutes and serve warm.