Instructables
Picture of My Experience with the MAGPI

In this instructable I'm going to talk about my experience building the Micro Arduino Gaming Platform Interface, a truly awesome little device which can be found here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Magpi-The-Micro-Ar...

I did a few things a little differently and I wanted to highlight a few of the issues I ran into while constructing the device.

 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Buying the Parts

The parts list can be found in step 1 of the MAGPI instructable. I had acess to a 3D printer so it was no problem attempting to 3D print the parts. I was able to order everything from Adafruit that I needed as well, which arrived about a week later. The parts from Sparkfun (the Arduino Mini, the battery and the battery charger), however, were all sold out. To solve this I instead ordered the Arduino off amazon, where they luckily had three items left.

The place I bought the Arduino Pro Mini 3.3v can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNYXC8Q/ref=ox...

The next problem required finding a new place to purchase the battery and charger. I searched just about everywhere and wound up reading a bunch of sites that seemed to be in German and Arabic, but those weren't really going to help, so I had to figure out something else. I went to Adafruit and searched for similar batteries that might be available and found that they did have in stock a similar battery, except it was 500 mAh instead of 400 mAh. This wasn't going to be a problem, though, so I went ahead and ordered it. The battery did end up being slightly too large, but I'll talk about that in just a little bit. Along with this, I also ordered the charger that went with it. This charger was slightly different as it was a USB connector instead of a micro-USB connector and did not have holes to connect to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. I'll talk about this later as well.

The battery: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1578

The charger: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1304

Now there was one last problematic issue for obtaining the parts and this involved the right angle male headers. I assumed we had some of them lying around (we did have absurd amounts of the straight ones), but, surprisingly, I found that we didn't have any right angle ones. To solve this I broke off a row of 6 then bent each one with a pair of needle-nose pliers, creating my own right angle male header.

After waiting the week to get the rest of my parts, I began constructing the MAGPI by attempting to 3D print the top, bottom and PCB.

zippy3143 months ago

Wow! xCezium! Fantastic. I'm so happy to hear about your making a magpi! It's really cool. Great work adapting the parts list to what you could find. If you make any more games or add any fixes to the code please tell me and I'll upload it!

qubist3 months ago

Wow! Great Instructable. I am the son of Zippy314 who made the magpi (I was in the video) and I helped make it too. It is so cool to see that someone made the magpi! The snake game crashes at 10 levels simply because it is not done yet. I believe there is a variable somewhere in there that says "maxsnakelength" or something like that. You might be able to fiddle with that, or you could also add a "You Win" screen. I also haven't yet made the snake die when it hits its own tail. You could work on that if you want to get into it. Best of luck, and I'd love to see any future developments (new games, upgrades, etc.),

-qubist