Something simple to build when you're over stocked with empy cans, computer fans and cables.
Step 1: Step One: Gather Your Tools!
For this project we need tools, tin cans and some spare time as simple as that.
The picture is missing my 4mm metal drill and sandpaper.
- One fan, in this case a 78mm CPU fan.
- Two tin cans atleast one that would fit the fan.
- Two tin can lids
- Some way of measurement
- Active charcoal filter
- Hammer, because banging... it'f fun, trust me.
- Electrical tape
- Metal drill that fits the screws
- And lastly some screws, I use 20x3mm philips head screws and nuts.
Step 2: Step Two: Taking Stand! (Optional)
This part is quite simple, just press out the jagged edges of one of your tin can lids, don't forget to sand them.
Then bend it to a fitting shape to use as a stand.
I made a little hook that I clamped together in the front so it didn't came off during the next step.
This design was meant to be used with the fan mounted in front of the can.
Step 3: Step Three: Boring Drill Manuever!
Now it's time to drill some holes in the back of the tin and lid. Use your favourite way to secure the lid to the back of the can and mark ut some holes. Be creative in the pattern, more holes mean better airflow, in a basic sense that is.
I also made some holes for the stand and about 10mm in from the top of the can, this was meant to act as a fan mount in my first design but now Im planning to make some kind of honeycomb grid to fit in front.
Step 4: Step Four: Screwing and Securing
When you've fitted the coal filter between the lid and back of the can you can screw them together in a couple of holes, not to many because we don't want to compromise our airflow.
I also used some tape to prevent any leakage in the back.
The screws where meant to hold the fan in place but the airflow became somewhat obstructed due to the filters density and the low power used on the fan.
The fan sits really snug and nice with some tape around it.
Step 5: Step Five: She Blows!
I used an old USB-cable to power this fan. I've not yet tested it with 12V wich would give a more efficient result.