Introduction: My Necronomicon
I'd like to thank onespartan for his ible on making the Necronomicon: Book Of the Dead I was looking for halloween Ideas and it totally caught my attention. This will not be a step by step instruction as he already did a top notch job. I'm just going to go over what I did differently.
Materials I used.
Brown Paper bag
Old Book to use as base (in this case a 4th edition AD&D Monsters Compendium that was falling apart)
Old Phone book
Elmers white glue
Brushes large small and a sponge brush.
Paint I used Brown Hi gloss acrylic latex enamel and midnight blue latex eggshell stamp paint. (all I had)
My drivers license
$2.99 for a small bottle of Mod Podge. If I was to do it again I would get a much bigger one. as I substituted watered down elmers for the paper pulp.
Step 1: Step 1
I had a really beaten up 4th edition AD&D; Monsters Manual that needed some work. The front and back covers were almost detached from the spine. So I used some duct tape to reattach them, both inside and out. I thought the Monster manual would be a really great body to form the Necronomicon onto.
Step 2: Step 2: Book Cover and Plenty of Duct Tape
Using the Brown paper bag I made a standard book cover. I glued seams rather than tape.
I did insert some card stock between the front book cover and the brown paper bag cover so I wouldn't damage the book with any moisture.
Then I formed the face with plenty of duct tape
Step 3: Step 3: Paper Mache and Blenders.
I tried a few different paper products till I realized that phone book pages worked GREAT. I coated everything with it. Inside the covers, back, spine, and of course many,many, layers over the face.
I wanted a little more detail in the eyes, nose, and mouth area so I blended up some of the phone book, and left over paper bag in the blender. (WOW let the wife know before you do that.) The paper was too lite to be cut as small as I liked so I just added water until I got what I wanted. I squeezed out the excess water and using small amounts of the paper pulp and some Elmers glue, I added the eye lids, firmed up the nose, sharpened the lips, and created the texture inside the mouth. I then added a few strips of paper mache over the lips to sharpen the edge even more.
If I had to do it again I would probably coat the whole face with the pulp and glue so as to create a similar texture to the movie prop.
Step 4: Step 4: Mod Podge and Paint
I added 3 layers of mod podge after all the paper mache was done on the face. The back cover and insides only needed 1 layer.
Then I used brown hi gloss (big mistake) acrylic latex enamel paint to cover the whole thing. This took a few days as I painted most of the inside of the covers, edges, back, and front with three coats of brown.
Then using the brown and some midnight blue i made a watered down wash to paint on and wipe off with some paper towels. This of course left plenty of paint in the low areas. I did use a sponge brush to dry paint some of the high areas. All and all I think it turned out pretty good.
Again, thanks to onespartan for the inspiration for this.
A few notes and tips:
Old phone book pages make great paper mache. As the glue/mod podge soaks in quickly and is easily formed to most contours.
Toilet paper does not.
High gloss paint was not a good choice for this application.
I know I wrote paper mache a lot in this and the most common form uses a flour and water mixture. I did not use flour and water to deter mold.
OH and Tom I would never sell this.
Army of Darkness ROCKS.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.