So we set out to find parts for our build, everything was found in his garage..he's one of those guys who never throws anything away. We located a round plastic front grill of an old rotating fan. Next an aluminum pie plate, a plastic champagne cork, a wire antenna ring I took from my old 10' black 'n white TV I've kept around for the setting up of Free To Air systems and a 5' length of SMA cable and the antenna that attaches to my Rangebooster G desktop adapter.
A round hole was cut out of the center of the aluminum pie plate this would allow for attaching it to the fan grill.
Then I inserted the antenna ring in the middle of the pie plate. By the way the ring does absolutely nothing its just for show.
Next I drilled a hole down through the middle of the plastic cork just big enough for the antenna to fit snugly. This hole allowed the SMA cable to be tightened on the back end of the antenna and the antenna to fit tightly into the center of the pie plate and fan grill.
All looked good so went home and made the install. I was immediately greeted with one more bar on the signal range. Not bad for scrap junk found laying around on a beer fueled Sunday afternoon. More from Dcrap later