I decided straight away that it didn't need to work as a controller...as I thought the novelty would become a bit old before too long. Instead I wanted something that was a bit subtle, looked good, and showed off some nice wood.
Here's how I made mine.....
Step 1: Measure up
Step 2: Design
I didn't stick too rigidly to the plan...I'm a bit of a geek though so it was important to me to get the top spot on.
Step 3: Let the build commence!
Black - Oak
Grey - Maple
Red - Mahogany
I was thinking of using walnut for the black bits...but I really like oak!
First up I went to my local timber yard and selected some nice bits of oak, and got a few maple & mahogany offcuts too.
I cut the oak roughly to size, and fed it to my planer/thicknesser until I had some nice square bits of wood.
Then I glued it together using "Resintite" wood glue (kinda like Urea-formaldehyde adhesive), and plenty of clamps.
When dry the glue got scraped off and I had a good go at it with a belt sander.
Not pictured here...but I got some glass cut at this stage for the top (as I didn't trust them to cut it accurately enough later). Then I cut the oak panel to match the glass.