Introduction: Naruto Cake
I helped make the Naruto Cake for my friend's 11 year boy's birthday. He is a huge fan of Naruto who is a Japanese character. Until this time, I was not aware that such a character existed. When I did a little bit of research before making this cake, I realized that this is a pretty famous character among the teenagers. Since this cake was all face, I was little worried because there was a huge window of opportunity for a mistake which could lead to a disastrous end to the cake but I was so super happy to see how the cake turned out. When I gave the finished cake to the birthday boy, the surprised/shocked/happy/proud expression on his face will always remain in my memories.
This is a 11 inch round Vanilla Lemon Fondant Cake with 2 layers made with heavy cream icing. The cake topper is Naruto's Face all made with fondant.
It took me totally 11 hours to make this cake, of course it was made in batches on 2-3 consecutive days.(Making Fondant - 3 hours, Orange Icing - 1 hour, Tracing Naruto's Face - 30 mins, Baking Vanilla Lemon Cake - 1 hour, Cutting the cake into layers and applying icing - 1 hour, Making Naruto's Face with Fondant - 2 hours, Rolling fondant and assembling final cake - 2 hours). I had to do a lot of trial and error in-order to get the perfect face color fondant and the dark orange color fondant.
Step 1: Make Marshmallow Fondant
- Marshmallow - 300 grams
- Castor Sugar - 600 grams (almost double the marshmallows or little lesser)
- Vegetable Shortening - 1/2 Cup
- Water - 4 tsp
- Take the marshmallow in a microwave safe bowl, drizzle 1 tsp water and microwave for 20 seconds.
- Remove from microwave, mix it well and again microwave for 20 seconds.
- Mix again and if there are no lumps, then do not microwave further. Else keep for another 10 seconds and mix.
- Add castor sugar and mix.
- Spread little vegetable shortening on the work space so the marshmallow mix does not stick to the work surface.
- Drop the mixture on the work surface and knead.
- Add in more castor sugar and keep kneading until it forms a stiff ball of dough.
- Hold the dough stiff with one hand and pull the other end with the other hand, if the dough stretches by 2 inches and starts breaking, then its perfect. Stop kneading.
- Apply shortening all around the dough ball liberally and cover it with plastic wrap and set aside over night.
- The white marshmallow fondant is ready for use the next day.
- In-order to color the fondant, it is preferable to use gel colors or powder colors. Liquid colors can alter the consistency of the fondant.
- Take a tiny bulb of white fondant and dip it inside the gel color and wipe it on the white fondant and knead well. Repeat this process, until the right color is obtained.
- I used gel color for making the blue fondant, grey color and dark brown/black fondant. I used orange powder food color for the orange fondant on the base cake and Naruto's skin color fondant. Yellow powder food color for Naruto's hair.
Step 2: Make Vanilla Icing With Heavy Cream:
- Heavy Cream - 473ml
- Icing Sugar - 6 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract - 3 tsp (I have mentioned 1 tsp in the photo by mistake :(
- Orange Powder Food Color
Procedure to make frosting:
- Pour cream in a bowl.
- Beat it with a hand mixer until it becomes thicker and fluffy.
- I didn't have hand mixer so I used a wire whisk and whisked it for about 15mins.
- Pour vanilla extract and re-beat it.
- Pour the food color and mix gently with a spoon.
- Cover it with plastic wrap so its air-tight and store it in refrigerator when not in use.
- The frosting is ready.
Step 3: Make the Lemon Vanilla Cake
- All Purpose Flour - 6 Cups
- Eggs - 5 large
- Baking Soda - 1 Tsp
- Baking Powder - 3 Tsp
- Sugar - 3.25 Cups
- Unsalted Butter - 2 Cup (1 block)
- Whole Milk - 4 Cups
- Vanilla Extract - 4 Tsp
- Lemon Zest - from 2 medium sized lemons
- Lemon Juice - from 2 medium sized lemons
- Salt - 1/2 Tsp
PROCEDURE TO MAKE THE VANILLA LEMON CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour,baking soda, baking powder, salt) together so it mixes well.
- Mix butter and sugar in another bowl with a hand mixer till it forms a creamy mixture. I didn't have mixer so I used a spoon and my blender.
- Add eggs one by one and mix so there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth and silky.
- Pour vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat again.
- Pour the dry ingredients from step 2 into the wet ingredient mixture and fold in.
- Add in the milk and fold in again.
- Taste the batter and adjust the sugar if required. You could add in more milk if the consistency is too thick.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased pan and bake for 30mins.
- I used two 11 inch round pans so I could get 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of icing in between.
- Use a tooth pick to check if the cake is fully cooked and set aside so it cools to room temperature. Then let it cool in the refrigerator for at-least 5 hours so that it does not break when we cut it to make layers.
- The Vanilla Lemon Cake is ready.
Step 4: Cut the Cake and Make Layers
Remove the cake from the refrigerator, use a long knife and cut into 2 layers. Dab sugar solution on each layer, then apply the orange frosting generously. Place one layer of cake on top of the other. Apply frosting on the side walls as well. Set this cake again in the refrigerator over-night. Dabbing sugar solution will keep the cake moist.
- It is advisable to cut the cake on the top and sides so its uniform. This will enable to give a nice neat plain look when we put the fondant on top of the creamed cake.
- To make the sugar solution, use equal quantity sugar and water and make a fine solution.
Step 5: Draw or Trace Naruto's Face on Wax Paper:
- Trace the cake pan on a wax paper
- Cut the wax paper into a circle
- Draw Naruto's face on the wax paper.
- If you have a picture on your laptop, enlarge it to be as big as the face you want on the cake, then place the wax paper on top of the screen and trace the face on the wax paper.Cut it and keep aside.
Step 6: Roll Fondant and Make Naruto's Face With Fondant
Step 7: Roll Fondant and Assemble Final Cake:
- Take the orange fondant, knead it well before rolling so its smooth and easy.
- Roll it as thin as possible. I was able to roll it to a 1/4 inch.
- Carefully place your palms below the rolled fondant, carefully lift it and place it on top of the cake.
- Smoothen the top and then the sides with your palm.
- Then cut the extra fondant on the bottom.
- Use blue fondant, roll it like a thin long pipe and stick it to the bottom circumference of the cake.
- Place the fondant pieces of Naruto's face carefully on the orange fondant as per the image on the wax paper.
- To stick the facial fondant on top of the orange fondant, use water as glue.Use black fondant and roll it as thin as possible and use it to write the name of the birthday boy.
The Naruto Cake is done!