Ever wonder how to make an interesting picture that make your friends say 'wow'? Why not try natural framing! By using objects in the background and foreground, you can create dynamic pictures with ease. You don't need a lot of talent or fancy equipment, all you need is patients, a camera, and maybe an eye for interesting shots.
Step 1: Materials
What are you going to need to start?
- Camera (Any kind will do, so long as you know how to use it)
- Tripod (Optional, but useful if you don't have a steady hand)
- A place to shoot (Find a place where you want to take pictures, remember to ask permission if its not public property)
Once you have these, you can start taking pictures.
Step 2: Camera Settings
Taking pictures with natural framing can be done indoors or outdoors, depending on what you're shooting. It's always important to recognize what light you're working with and adjust appropriately, or else you could end up with pictures that are too bright or too dark.
Most cameras have settings that change the exposure according to what the lighting is like. It has a setting for outdoors that can change according to the weather, such as sunny or cloudy. Also it has settings for indoors to adjust according to the type of lighting inside, such as florescent and tungsten lighting.
Remember to adjust the ISO and shutter speed to align to the lighting. If you aren't well versed in cameras and find that the pictures are coming out blurry, lightly tap the shutter release and it will auto adjust.
Step 3: Tips for Taking the Picture
- When taking the picture look for objects that make the background look as if it's being sectioned.
- Try to use straight lines that are well spaced.
- Remember to use the rule of thirds to help make a more successful picture.
- It's bested to use asymmetric patterns, but be careful not to make one side heavier than the other.
- If you are trying to bring attention to a certain part of your picture (the center, or maybe an object) use the framing to accentuate it by either framing around it, or having lines lead to it. This will draw the viewers eye
Remember these tips while you take your pictures and you should end up with some pretty nice photos to show off to friends.