Introduction: Naval Battle VG100 UM-SJTU
We are Group 13. Our group name is “UPCOMING”, which indicates the hope that we would be a strong, creative and competitive group. The group consists of 5 members: Yuhao Wang as the leader, Zheng Wu, Jiayao Wu, Jiayun Zou and Yi Sun.
The joint institute was founded by University of Michigan and Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2005. The purpose of the foundation of JI is to promote the communication and cooperation of worldwide higher education. JI is highly independent. It absorbs the successful experience of University of Michigan, and has formed its unique method of education. The aim of JI is to train a new generation of creative and leading talents.
VG100 is one of the courses we take as the freshmen. In this course, we are instructed by Professor Shane and Professor Wei. It is an interesting course because it cultivates our interests in engineering and equips us with some basic skills. Also, the group policy allows us to cooperate and learn the way that real engineers work. We take some of the classes in the classroom, but most of the time, we work in the lab.
●Mode: Robots move balls from their own territories to the territory’s territories to get scores.
●Balls: 4 large wooden balls—Diameter: 70mm
4 small Ping Pong balls—Diameter: 40mm.
[In the opponent’s territory]
Wooden balls: +4 points/each
Ping Pong balls: +1 point/each
[Out of the field]
Wooden balls: -5 points/each
Ping Pong balls: -2 points/each
●Time limit: 1 minute for testing and 3 minutes for the game
●Starting dimension limit for robots: 350mm*350mm*200mm
Links below are the videos of our performance on the game day*:
Step 1: Materials List
Step 2: Concept Diagram
Step 3: Circuit Diagram
The graph above is a sketch of the main electronic components of our circuit, including a main board, ARDUINO UNO, a motor driving board, L298N, and a YK04 board that separately controls a step motor with an independent remote controller. Two servo motors are linked to the ARDUINO board directly, where two 3.7V RC batteries serve as the power supply. Two motors are driven by a 11.7V RC battery. All of them receive signals from the ARDUINO board, whose power supply is a 9V battery.
Step 4: Main Steps:Assembling Step 1
- Cut two pieces of Acrylic Boards as the picture shows.
- Use the square one to fix the two Universal Wheels.
- Use the circle one to fix the two Gear Motors and other parts, as well as serving as the base for the Wooden Board.
Step 5: Main Steps:Assembling Step 2
- Fix the base of the grasping-balls device to the square acrylic board.
- Assemble the Metal Loose-leaves.
- Fix two Servo Motors to the wooden board.
Step 6: Main Steps:Assembling Step 3
- Cut two rings, wrap tapes all over.
- Connect them to the wooden sticks, fix them with screws.
- Add the two boards that enable the rings to better grasp the balls.
- Connect the arms with the servo motors with screws, and strengthen them with hot melt adhesive
Step 7: Main Steps:Assembling Step 4
- Connect the positive pole of the servo motors, the ground connection wire and the receiver to the UNO Board.
- Fix the Receiver of the PS2 Controller in accordance to the order of the pins.
- Weld the positive and negative poles of the gear motors and connect them to the L298 Board.
- Put in the 11.1V RC Battery and keep the negative pole ground connected.
- Finally, connect the receiver with the UNO board.
Step 8: Main Steps:Assembling Step 5
- Insert the Circuit Board into the robot.
- Include the 28BYJ48 Full Angle Steering Gear and the Driver Board of the infrared remote control. Use string to connect the Steering Gear with the base of the arms to fulfill the lifting up process.
- Fix the Wooden Boards to the robot.
- Insert two RC Batteries and power the two Driver Boards.
- Do the programming.
Step 9: Ultimate Version
This is the complete version of our Naval Battle Car.The structure is not complicated, but the design is the unique and delicate.Thank you for sparing time to read our step-by-step instruction.If you have any question, feel free to email us via email@example.com