Enter: the necklace shelf! It fills in an empty space on my wall that has been staring at me, and reminds me that I should really wear some of this jewelry some time.
- 4" wide wood (6" long per shelf)
- push-pin style wall hooks
- screws and appropriate wall mounting method
- small nails
- ruler/measuring tape
- sand paper
Step 1: Cut the Wood, Sand, and Pre-drill
1) Measure out, and mark your length of wood.
2) Hold the wood still in some way and cut out your pieces.
3) Sand off the rough edges and any corners that you would like rounded
4) Decide where the 1" piece will be attached to the wall and pre-drill some small holes. I also drilled a larger diameter hole to allow the screws I was using to sit flush with the wood.
Step 2: Stain and Assemble the Shelf
1) Stain the pieces with enough coats to get the colour you like.
2) I first hammered two small nails into the top of the 5" piece.
3) Apply glue to both pieces.
4) Line up the pieces and hammer the nails into the top edge of the 1" piece.
5) Scrape away excess glue. Clamp lightly if you want to while the glue dries.
Step 3: Attach Hooks
Step 4: Wall Mount and Add Jewelery
Organize your jewelery, add something nice to the top of the shelves, and enjoy a little less clutter and a little more wall art!