Introduction: Nerf Maverick "air Taser" for $25
So I was in Walmart and I seen some Nerf guns and just across from them was some bike tools, so I got the idea to make higher powered Nerf gun that could fire a capacitor. This is a quick method and now that I've done it once I could redo it in about 10 mins start to finish.
The First part is how to make the charging bay the but starting at 2:25 is the gun in action.
Sorry there aren't shots of it hitting anything because I was shooting at the couch a few feet away so it wouldn't really prove much. With the capacitor it will shoot about 35 feet on 2.5 pumps. The nerf dart shoots the whole length of my hallway and hits pretty hard when it reaches the end. The hall is maybe 50 feet. I haven't shot it outside yet I just made it last night.
I plan on putting canister in the handle so it can hold more air pressure and at some point I will paint this like the cool steam punk or the plasma rifle instructable. Anyway on with the show.
A Nerf Maverick. The other parts (minus the barrel) came in a kit similar to this but it was cheaper. Found at Walmart .
For the barrel I used some pipe I had laying around. I would recommend you get a length of copper piping used for plumbing it works better. And a bike pump/ air compressor/ co2 cartridge with the proper adapters. Thats all you need. *you need a hot glue gun to attach the capacitor to the dart but thats later.
Also, I'm not responsible if you kill, maim, hug, rob, hack, borrow money from, or lick anyone as a result of making this gun. How this would do any of those is beyond me but stranger things have happened.
Hope you enjoy my first instructable.
Step 1: The Charge Bay
There are no step by step pictures with instructions for this but the attached video shows how to do it.
There are a few much more complicated instructables showing how to make this but this is the easiest, least cool looking method.
This is the same video that is on the first page so if you watched that you can skip this one.
1.Take a disposable camera apart.
2. Locate the capacitor.
3. Carefully cut it off leaving equal amounts of wire on the circuit board and capacitor. * I recommend making a mark with a sharpie down the length of one wire to note which side of the capacitor connects to which wire*
4. Take 2 "crimp on butt connectors" (found at radio shack.)
5. Cut off the wider part of the connectors so you are left with the thin center portion with the metal in it.
6. Attach one connector to each cut wire on the circuit board and crimp on.
7. Slightly crimp the other end of the connector so the capacitor can fit in and be removed fairly easily while still making contact.
8. You are done. It sounds harder than it is. I've made one of these in 30 seconds before.
Step 2: Unscrew Everything
1. Unscrew everything. I mean everything, every screw inside and outside of the gun. Remove it all. You only need the shell of the gun. (this would be a good time to paint it too, initially I had plans to make this look like the steam punk gun from another instructable but living in an apartment there isn't really a good place to spray paint.)
Step 3: Start Attaching Stuff.
2. Basically you just screw things together using teflon tape on all the threads. You will notice one of my hoses is simple 'forced' into a connector, this was for my own safety just incase I over pressurized it the only thing that would happen is the hose would pop off. These parts are rated up to 90 psi. The bike pump started leaking on me from the plunger before I could pop that tube out.
It's very straight forward and rather than bore you anymore I will let the pictures do the talking.
Attach parts as follows:
Step 4: The Dart
Hopefully your glue gun was heating up while you connected everything.
1. Cut a nerf dart just about in half
2. Insert a mcdonalds straw into the dart and trim to fit
3. Put a small drip of glue into one end of the straw. Allow glue to harden
4. Put a drip of glue onto the hardened glue and attach the capacitor. (the reason you do this is so you don't melt the dart or the straw.
5. Charge and shoot.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.