I made these dancing* nested cube tables mostly to practice MIG welding and powder coating. The larger table measures about 22" x 22" x 22".
Continue on to see how they were made. Next step - screenshots of my design.
* Thanks to SelkeyMoonbeam for the helpful instructable on embedding images in the text of an Instructable. Trying and failing to get this GIF to fit nicely with the still photos above was really grinding my gears.
Step 1: Design
My design process went as follows
- Thought about things to make that involve welding and powder coating - decided on furniture
- Picked up an old workbench top (see Materials in next step) - thought I'd make a coffee table
- Decided a steel coffee table would be too cumbersome to move around in my car - googled "nesting tables"
- Measured the old workbench top, decided the number (2) and size (22", 19") of the tables
- Hacked around in Autodesk Inventor until I had the model shown above.
- Thought, "Hey, those look pretty decent."
With my design in mind, I was off to buy some steel.