Introduction: Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Hack
For starters, let's set up the paradigm: I love cookies. Mama's cookies were always the best. Mama committed plagiarism.
When I got older and headed off to college, I was informed that the homemade cookies that I grew up on were not some family secret from centuries ago, but rather was located on every package of Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Morsels.
This did not take away from the fact that they were good cookies, but it did make me want to 'own' the recipe.
The following steps include bits and pieces from the original recipe with my additions.
Step 1: Original Recipe
2.25 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter (softened)
.75 cup sugar
.75 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped nuts
(If you don't believe me, just look at the back of the package of Nestle semi-sweet morsels... :) )
Step 2: Ponder While Listening to 'these Are a Few of My Favorite Things' on the Sound of Music
- not so many chocolate chips
- coconut. gotta have coconut.
- not too sweet. i plan on eating a dozen at a time, so it can't be too sweet...
- i hear dark chocolate is healthier than milk chocolate, so why not?
- I like salty foods, but not salty cookies. Cut back a little on the salt...
Step 3: Begin With the Dry Ingredients
- 2.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp salt (a little less (the butter I usually have is salted))
- .66 cup sugar (a little less)
- .66 cup brown sugar (a little less)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup dark chocolate morsels
- 1 pkg chopped pecans
- 1.25 cup coconut flakes
Step 4: Now Melt and Mix
- 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 sticks of butter (melted)
Step 5: Mix and Place on a Cookie Sheet
I admit I do not have mad cookie scooping skills, so my cookies come out all different sizes. I just flop the cookie batter on a non-stick baking sheet and place in the oven. The original recipe states 375 for 9-11 minutes. I preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 8 minutes. They seem to cook a little faster with the adjustments made.
Step 6: Take Out and Enjoy...mmmm...
Get out your favorite mug (mine happens to be a Powell's Books mug), fix yourself a glass of milk or coffee, and dig in. I hope you like it.