Introduction: New Notebooks From Old Spiral Notebooks
I was searching for ways to re-use my old spiral notebooks with a lot of pages still unused but was unable to reach my 100 leaves mark ( I love notebooks reaching 100 leaves. It just feels.... special XD Most of the notebooks in my country are in 80 or 90 leaves count, so I figured 100 'makes things different'). Also, in this instructable, the notebook covers will be changed, which makes notebooks more personal.
This is my first instructables by the way, and I am not certain if I will make another instructable as I am not accustomed to crafty stuff. I want to learn but, I dunno where I will get my materials :\
Also, sorry for the crappy pictures! I took some of them with my phone, and some with my camera.
Anyways, enough with the rambling, let's start!
Step 1: Materials
Spiral notebooks = The "main ingredient"
PVA Glue = White glue is ok. But I had PVA glue lying around so... yeah :D
Wire cutter = We'll use it to cut the wires of the spiral notebook, though I used it to cut of the bended end (that keeps it from spiraling down) on both sides to make the removal of the spiral wire easier. You can just bend the wires with pliers if you want.
Cotton Thread or yarn = I used a crochet thread so it won't be too thick that it can't fit through the needle or too thin that I could snap easily.
Needle = makes the "sewing" easier.
Optional: Post it's and Pens = to list down how many unused pages are left in your notebook.
Some used paper = used or not, depends on you. We're using it as a cover of the uhh cover.
Fold-Back clips = Forgot to include them in the picture.
Designing materials = We'll be making our own covers here bro.
And of course, some good 'ol music while working (though not pictured here), if you prefer ;)
Step 2: Counting the Pages
Here I counted the pages and noted them. I took note of them so I can choose which notebook should be joined with which, so I can achieve my 100 leaves mark. I also took note about something. As they say, don't always rely on your memory.
After counting the pages and pairing the notebooks, I cut both ends of the wires with a wire cutter and started rotating the spiral wire out.
Here I show to you the 'contents.' We'll be reusing he covers so don't throw that away yet.
I included some reference pages like the Metric conversion table and grade equivalents ( I don't have them memorized. Like, what percentage you will get when you got 15 out of 25).
Now I keep the pages together using a fold back paper clip.
Step 4: The Cover
Since I had two pairs of covers total, I glued a pair with each other and did the same for the other, which I ended up having a pair of covers now ( I hope that was clear).
Ok I think I was unclear there. I had two front covers and two back covers. I pasted a front and a back cover together, and did the same for the other front and back covers. Which left me with two covers that could pass for both a front cover and back cover.
For the back cover, I coverd it with a used bond paper, print side up. It was the first page of a script for our play. The cover could be anything you want: colored paper, manila paper, brown paper bags, or even you quiz paper, if you feel like using it as your notebook cover.
I 'enhanced' the back cover by making an excess 'flap' for it to place papers. I made it with two sheets of intermidiate pad, glued together for durability (hopefully)
For the front cover, I covered it with a used bond paper which was the cover of our investigatory project (don't ask me how it went), cutting the bond paper if necessary.
First I made sure that the title will be centered, then cut the excess parts. You can cover the center part. But for mine, I forgot covering them.
Time to punch holes! Since I covered the covers with bond paper, the holes definitley got covered as well. Holding the cover up to a light source (or not at all since I can still see the holes), I poked through the bond paper and started making holes, so things will be easier when it's time to bind.
Now that we're done with poking holes on the cover, time to bind!
Note: I believe it is up to you when you will design your cover if you will be designing it. I did mine after binding, but you can do it beforehand.
Before you start poking holes, you can cover the cover first with plastic cover or design the cover first then cover it with plastic cover. But I did not have a roll of plastic cover when I was making this, so I was unable to provide steps and/or pictures. Also, I did the designing last. But then again, it's all up to you.
Step 5: Binding
Ok I'm not gonna be doing this step by step since the binding I did for this is very simple, and I believe folks in the interwebs are better at explaining it than me.
What I will tell you is this: for my binding, I used the Japanese Bookbinding technique.
Here is a site that will teach you how it's done: [ http://sff.net/people/brook.west/bind/bindit.html ]
(I am not affiliated in any way with the site. Just saying)
I admit I didn't fully follow the instructions since, well, I forgot about them. I just forgot to do what I call the "starting knot."
If you didn't cut the end parts of the spiral wire you can use them again.
I had these 'excess' threads so I just pulled them to the side to make them less obvious.
After binding, if you haven't done it, you can start designing the cover if you want.
Step 6: Finished!
And... we're done!
Marvel at your beautiful and "green" recycled notebook!
Here are the results of my notebook. Feel free to share yours :D
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.