Step 1: Ingredients
- 12 Costco muffins - chocolate-chocolate chip work best. You can use any of the flavors except the blueberry. They seem to be to soft to hold up a cake.
- Cream cheese frosting - whatever recipe you want use. Make enough recipes so that you use 3 packages of cream cheese. Make sure it is room temp (or so) when you frost the cake.
- Nutella ganache
- 1 large tub of nutella (or two small tubs)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 large candy bars (optional). I used Butterfingers. Any crushable candy bar would work.
- Chocolate covered coffee beans (optional)
Step 2: Make the filling (Nutella ganache)
- Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and heat in the microwave until warm (don't boil it - or even get close). My microwave takes one minute but they are all different so do 15 seconds at a time if you aren't sure.
- Scoop all the Nutella into the bowl and whisk together until smooth and one consistent color (brown). It is going to look like a runny mess for a while and then it suddenly it all melts together.
Step 3: Making the layers
- Cut the tops of 6 muffins (not right where the top starts but about 1.5 inches up - make them all the same height).
- Cut each muffin in half horizontally so you have 2 equal layers.
Note: Eating the leftover muffin tops while making the cake is encouraged, nay, required.