Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 pre-made graham cracker crust (I made my own, but yeah, that involved baking, so. . . )
- 3 tablespoons (44ml) orange juice (cold)
- 2 teaspoons (30ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 (1ounce/28g) envelope gelatin
- 1 cup (236ml) heavy cream (cold)
- 2/3 cup (150g) sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1(15-ounce/425g) can pumpkin puree (plain, not pumpkin pie mix)
Step 2: Prepare the Gelatin
Sprinkle gelatin over orange juice mixture to let it bloom.
Set aside to thicken, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Make the Custard
Whisk remaining 1/3 cup sugar and yolks together in medium bowl until slightly thickened. Slowly pour hot cream into yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
Return mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pot with silicone spatula, until custard is thickened and registers 175 to 180F (80-82C) on an instant-read thermometer (about 2 minutes).
When properly cooked, custard should form a slight ridge on the tip of a spatula when the bottom of the pan is scraped.
Immediately pour custard over gelatin mixture and stir until smooth and gelatin has completely dissolved.
Step 4: Prepare the Pumpkin
With the food processor running, add the remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream through feed tube in steady stream.
Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl and churn for another 10 to 15 seconds.
Add the pumpkin mixture to the custard and stir until combined and completely smooth.
Step 5: Chill and Serve
Chill the pie, uncovered, for about 3 hours, until the filling is just set.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill another 6 hours to overnight, to fully set the pie.