Introduction: No-Sew Duct Tape Apron
Make this handy vinyl apron with absolutely no sewing involved! Once again, Duct Tape is the hero in this story, so I introduce to you: The Taperon!
This project is so fun and easy, it's a great thing to do with the kids! They'll love wearing the aprons they made and designed with their own hands.
special thanks to drinkmorecoffee for the sassy pics!
Step 1: Supplies
- Vinyl - 1yd
- Duct tape
- Adhesive vinyl for character on front (I found mine on eBay)
- Something to use for a strap
Step 2: Cut Apron
If you can, I recommend you do the same.
If you can't, it's pretty easy to figure out what measurements you want.
- Trace pattern onto back side of vinyl
- Add 1" on all sides for seam allowance
- Cut out along seam allowance lines
- Mark a dotted line 2" inside the cut edge - this is just a guideline to show you where the cut edge of the vinyl will be folded back to when you tape it down
- Make cut marks 1" in from both sides at the top two edges and the top of the sides where the strapping will come out (see red marks in picture)
Step 3: Insert Strap
- Make slits along the hash marks. Add tape on both sides of slit to strengthen and prevent from tearing.
- Feed strapping through these 4 slits as shown.
- If your strapping seems like it will fray, either tie knots in the ends, use a dab of glue on each end, or melt the cut ends. I prefer fire.
Step 4: Tape Down Edges
- Start with the curved edges
- Before taping them down, it helps to stretch them as much as you can, because you're about to make a concave curve turn into a convex one by folding it over.
- Tape down curved edge with small pieces of tape.
- Next tape down the long sides
- Tape up the hem
- Tape down the top edge
- Voila! You have a spanking new apron!
Step 5: Decorate!
- Cut out a paper printout/drawing of your design into all of the various pieces
- Keep the paper you cut it out from to use as a template for placing the vinyl
- Cut the shapes out of the different colors of vinyl
- Place the original template on the apron and tape down
- Peel and stick your vinyl pieces in place
Turns out they're great! They do peel up, but not easily, and air bubbles just disappeared when I rubbed them. Amazing stuff!
Step 6: Show Off
Once it's complete, it's time to show it off and get as many people to take pictures of you as you can!
Now go make something awesome while securely protected with your new vinyl apron!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.