Introduction: No-Sew Duct Tape Zipper Pouch
Take your duct tape skills to the next level with this great zippered pouch.
The interior is water-proof, making this bag great for carrying, pens, make-up, whatever you can imagine.
Choose an outer fabric that suits your personality and function.
I knew when I saw this adorable Hello Kitty satin in my favorite color, I just couldn't resist.
In fact, I blame the fabric itself for the inception of this entire project. Sometimes it just calls to you!
This project is similar to another one you'll find in the awesome book Simply Sublime Bags by Jodi Kahn
Step 1: Materials
- Paper to make a pattern (opt)
- Fabric - about 8"x11" or so (since I used US legal paper). Customize to suit your needs
- (not pictured) 7" zipper
- Duct tape in color of your choice
- Stapler + staples
Step 2: Make Pattern
- Cut off one margin along the red line.
- Fold paper in thirds to simuate where you want the zipper to be.
- Lay pattern on top of fabric and mark line about 1/2" outside of the edge as your taping area.
Step 3: Tape Fabric
- Cut strips of tape to extend slightly beyond marked lines
- Overlap rows of tape a small amount
- Re-trace pattern onto taped fabric
- Trace 1/2" seam allowance around the outside of the perimeter
- Cut fabric along outer line
Step 4: Apply Zipper
- Lay the zipper upside down on one of the short edges of your face-up fabric (see picture)
- Staple to fabric next to zipper teeth, using the seam marked on the taped side as a guide
- Fold the fabric in half, lining up the unstapled edge of the zipper with the opposite edge of the fabric.
- Staple as above.
Step 5: Close Sides
- Use the paper pattern as your guide for where to fold the fabric
- Staple along sides, using seam lines as a guide
- Open the zipper before completing final edge (so you can turn it right side out when you're done!)
Step 6: Tape Down Raw Edges
- Tape over exposed edges of zipper
- Lay tape over staples on front side and fold SA to the back
- Repeat on other side
Step 7: Finis!
All that's left is to turn pouch right side out and fill it with your stuff!
I hope you've enjoyed this simple yet attractive 10-minute project. Good luck with all of your own designs, and please do post your results in the comments!