This project will show you how create a pair of shoes without using a sewing machine. Going one further than this, I am attempting to make a pair of shoes with the fewest number of specific shoe components as possible and the least amount of leather.
Don't get me wrong, I love sewing machines. They can be frustrating at times when they break down or jam, but in general they are hugely satisfying. I have owned and operated a range of different machines but also have found myself without them at times. During those bleak moments I wondered how I could still make shoes without a single stitch. After plenty of design attempts I have come up with a couple of ways of doing it. I will be sharing the simplest one with you in this Instructable.
- Material for your shoe (preferably leather)
- A pair of shoe lasts (these can be purchased second hand on ebay, new on Amazon- the style of last will determine the size and style of the shoe)
- Adhesive (preferably neoprene cement or contact adhesive)
- Insole material (cellulose style or leather)
- Sole material (leather/EVA foam/rubber)
- Hair dryer/heat gun
- Shoe making tools (knife, lasting pincers, hammer, tacks etc. see my instructable "Testing a Shoe Pattern" for more information.