Introduction: Non-Pi Fish Pie
In order to celebrate Pi day, I've prepared a delicious non-Pi fish pie.
This is a reduced sodium recipe therefore salt was included in the ingredients as optional. Salted or unsalted butter can be used depending how low sodium you want the pie to be.
You could kick up this pie a notch by adding some chopped hot peppers or some hot sauce to either the fish or the sauce.
Step 1: Ingredients
butter, for greasing
1 lb fresh cod fillet
1 lb fresh salmon fillet
1 lb peeled prawns
juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 lb russet potatoes
2 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
For The Sauce
1 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
1 tbsp flour
2/3 cup milk
3 tbsp chopped parsley
Step 2: Preparing the Filling
1. preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Grease a pie dish or an oven proof dish. Set aside.
3. Cut the fish into bite-size pieces. Place fish and shimp in a bowl.
4. Season with pepper and salt (if using).
5. Sprinkle fish and shrimp with lime juice, and place in the base of the prepared dish.
6. cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
Step 3: Making the Sauce
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan at medium-low heat.
2. Add the flour to the melted butter and cook for 2 minutes with continous stirring.
3. Remove from the heat and wisk in the milk.
4. Return to the heat and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer wisking all the time until the sauce thickens.
6. Add the parsley and season to taste.
7. Pour over the fish mixture.
Step 4: Completing the Pie
1. Drain the potatoes and mash them with 2 tablespoons of butter.
2. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the fish mixture and smooth out with the spoon.
3.Use a fork to create streaks on the potatoe crust.
4. Brush the crust with the beaten egg.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let the pie rest for a few minutes before serving.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.