Hygge: (HUE-ga) is a Danish word with no English translation. It's what's in the air when you're surrounded by family and plenty of wine at the dining table. You might say it means cozy, peaceful, warm.
This vignette is inspired by the Scandinavian Christmas tradition of bringing the outdoors in. It will add a soft glow and a little evergreen texture to your home this winter.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
• a vessel. I'm using a galvanized bucket from Ikea. (You could use a wooden crate, a basket, a planter, or even a hefty bowl for a countertop display.)
• a filler for your bucket (1.5 gallon plastic planter)
• wood pieces/logs. (grilling wood found in the grocery store for $5 a bag. Small, in tact logs would look even better.)
• twinkle lights
• 4 feet of evergreen garland
• small LED light strand in any color
PLEASE NOTE if you are using grilling wood for this project, this is seasoned firewood which is designed to light quickly and burn efficiently. Check your twinkle lights to make sure they do not get too hot before leaving this vignette unattended.
Step 2: Lay Out Your Wood Pieces
Step 3: Add the Filler & Lights
Place about 1/3 of the lights in the bottom of the bucket.
Step 4: Start Building Your Wood Pile
Step 5: Arrange the Greenery
Step 6: Add Accent Lights
That's it! Have a julebryg or some gløgg and admire your vignette.