Within my team I was responsible for designing a costume for middle school aged children within the “Reef Animals” theme. The costume was made from recycled cardboard and had the ability to slot together.The project had very few specifications. They were the costume must slot together, easy construction, ability of indoor and outdoor use, and designed for middle school aged children under minimal supervision.
The only limitations for the design is the only materials permitted for use was recycled cardboard. Also the design could not include any fasteners.
Cardboard (S1) - 3 60" x 20"
(S2) - 3 30" x 10"
Cutting Mat (T1)
Body Piece 1 (P1)
Body Piece 2 (P2)
Step 1: Body Pieces
2. Scribe using (T4) a 1" line going left to right beginning at the left edge
3. Measure using (T3) (S1) and score using (T4) body piece 2
4. Draw using (T4) and (T3) a 6 ¼ " x ¼" rectangle ¼" in from left edge of body piece 1
5. Cut along lines made using (T2)
Step 2: Fins
2. Score a 1" line using (T4) starting from the top and bottom of the right side going right to left
3. Cut along lines made using (T2) on mat (T1)
Step 3: Straps
2. Cut along the lines drawn using (T2) on mat (T1)
3. Coil straps using hands