Introduction: Obelisk Board Game
Obelisk is a cooperative tower defense strategy game for 1 to 8 players. You play as guardians, defending your world from monsters appearing from a nearby portal. The monsters are easily disoriented, so keep them contained by turning trail signs. Use towers to capture monsters and upgrade your defenses! The monsters may seem mostly harmless but be warned: If they walk in a loop, an even larger portal will open!
Need access to:
- Laser Cutter that can cut 1 foot x 2 foot plywood that is 1/8 inch thick
- USB Stick
- (Optional) Masking Tape
- (Optional) Colored Pencils (Purple, Yellow, Red)
- 1x Red Bag ($2) or an Old Sock
- (Optional) 75x Blank Dice 16mm ($10) or just use the laser cut hex monsters
- 25x Purple, 25x Yellow, 25x Red
- 8x Dice (D6) from your local game store or dice from other games you already own
- 2x Blue, 2x Red, 2x Green, & 2x Purple.
- Box to put the game in when done ( 9in x 6.5in x 3in is a good size)
- One sheet of 12in x 24in x 1/8in thick MDF or other plywood. You can usually buy this from the MakerSpace directly. ($ 7)
Step 1: Laser Cut the Game Tiles and Tokens
- Download the CorelDRAW file and put it on a USB stick
- (Optional) Get some 2" wide masking tape
- Go to your local MakerSpace and ask them for help etching and cutting the board, monsters, and rotation tokens.
- (Optional) Don't etch and cut in one operation. Finish etching. Then remove the board and clean the top surface.Then cover that top surface with the masking tape and cut. This will diminish burn marks.
- Peel the tape off everything once you're done.
Step 2: Color the Hex Monsters
You can play with etched and cut monsters until the nice monsters arrive in the mail. Or if you didn't order the other monsters, these hex monsters will become your permanent monsters.
- Hex monsters with one dot on them are colored purple
- Hex monsters with four dots on them are colored yellow
- Hex monsters with six dots on them are colored red
Step 3: Print Guides and Manual
Print out the game manual in black and white on card stock
- Fold the player manual in half.
- Print out the player guides in color on card stock or print them black and white and color them in with pencils
- Cut the player guides out (four per sheet & double sided = 8 double sided guides final)