Here is a great way to reuse what you already have to create something new. Turn any old dress or skirt into an apron! What makes this easier than sewing from new materail is that the dress already fits you (or once did) so you don't need to worry about sizes!
Be sure to check out what you can find at thrift stores, this is a simple gifts idea for the new bride or for a great dirty santa gift! Get creative!
Step 1: Dig
Step 2: Chop It Up!
* I did the same with the dress but it was a little more complicated. Since there are a number of ways you can tie the strings in the back be sure to think about how you want your apron to tie off. I chose the standard neck opening and tie at waist style. You could also do a one tie similar to that of the Bath and Bodyworks aprons that criscross over the back and then tie- this allows the apron to fit to whoever may be wearing it.
* Anyway, cut the dress to the style of tie you want. I cut up the back of my dress and then near the waist seem and up the edge of the back- I folded that portion over to get the same cut on the other side.
Step 3: Pin It Together and Sew!
*As you pin up the cut egdes of the skirt decide if you have to add any holes for the belt to go through. I had a side zipper on my skirt and choose to leave it there, so I was sure to cut out where my belt needed to go through.
*On the dress you will also need to pin up the edges in to get ready to sew.
*Hand sew or machine sew!
(note: unless you have a tough sewing machine you may need to work around some of the thicker 'presewn' areas you are now sewing together. In other words it may be hard to sew through existing seems to make new ones. )
Step 4: Add Your Ties!
* I chose a scarf belt I have had for ages and used a chop stick to get it through the skirt.
* On the dress I added the shoulder strap as the neck strap, and then cut the belt in half to attach to either side of the dress.
* add any finishing touches!
Step 5: Voila!
*Go to goodwill and chose from all kinds of dresses to find a great gift apron for someone! :)