There are a ton of places you can buy bamboo cups online, but those are dime a dozen. I'll outline how to craft your own, custom bamboo cup. It is unique, and it will make you feel like you are living in feudal China or Japan. Caution: you may find yourself inexplicably craving rice wine while using this cup.
Step 1: Supplies and Materials
- Large piece of bamboo
- Hand saw
- Food grade wax or sealant
- Wood Chisel or knife (optional)
Step 2: Step 1: Cut the Bamboo to Size
I decided to go for the slanted top design, like the ones you see in old Samurai movies.
- Measure out the desired length (Mine was about 6'' at the top). Be sure to locate the "notch" in the bamboo. This will serve as the bottom of the cup
- Use a hand saw to cut the cup at an angle (approximately 45 degrees). If you are OG, just use a machete or sword to slice through the bamboo. However, if your skills are not to par, the cut will tear off a small piece of bamboo at the end of the slice, leaving behind an ugly section.
- Cut below the "notch" to form the bottom of the cup