So I took the typewriter with no specific purpose but figured I could make something out of it. My wife's renewed interest in painting was the inspiration I needed. Along with the fact that it would be a fun holiday gift.
Basically what was done was:
1. Secured typewriter - garage sale - cost $0.00
2. Cleaned typewriter - I liberally sprayed it with engine degunk and hosed it down . Then repeated a couple of more times. It was pretty effective way to remove the grease. Not sure if this would be a good idea if one was intent on rebuilding the typewriter but maybe.
3. Spray painted a primer coat.
4. Then spray painted it with every color I had in the basement. Sort of like I was doing a graffiti or modern art. Neither of which am I skilled at.
5. Used a piece of shelf board to fit into the hole where the keys had been. I routed the top edges to give it a more finished look and then stained it.
6. Drilled holes the size that would be needed for many of her paint brushes.
7. Wrapped and presented it as a holiday gift. It was well received and saved me a trip to the mall . :)