- 1 in x 6 in x 6 ft Pine Board
- 5/8 in x 4 ft Poplar/Pine Square Dowel
- 2 in x 6 in Poplar Dowel
- 2 Bolts, Washers, and Wing Nuts
- Wood Screws
- Metallic Paint
- Small Section Of Bell Wire
- Small Piece Of Brass
- Brass Nails
- Painters Tape
- Propane Torch
- Jig Saw
- Wood Glue
- Circular Saw
- Tape Measure
- Letter Punches
Step 1: Constructing the Box
Once the sides were cut, a line was marked on the face of two boards to show where I need to drill for the screws that secure the sides together. I lined up the pieces as best I could and drilled for the screws.
After securing the sides together with some wood screws, I marked and cut the pieces of wood that became the top and bottom.
They were then attached.
I looked up some photos of real ones to see the layout of the terminals and plunger. Using a square, I measured and marked their respective locations. The holes for the terminals were then drill the exact size of the bolts and a bigger drill bit was used to drill the location of where the 5/8 in square dowel will slip in and out of the box. A jig saw squared off the hole for that dowel.
Step 2: Turning the Handle
A parting tool was used to remove the bulk material from the grip parts first. A skew chisel and caliper were used to make sure the surface was the same diameter and straight. After the handles were turned, the center portion was also turned down to it's final size. Once I was happy with the look, it was sanded with 120 and 220 grit sand paper.
The area where the square dowel will attach was marked on the handle and a drill press was used to remove the bulk of the material. To remove the remaining material, a chisel was used to chip carve a square hole.
The square dowel was then glued into the handle.
Step 3: Finishing Touches
The handle was taped and the shaft of the plunger was primed and painted with metallic looking paint I had left over from a previous project.
Old Looking Finish-
To make the box look worn, a blow torch with a fan attachment was used to scorch the wood. The handle was also lightly burned with the blowtorch in order to make it look old too.
As I was looking at photos of real ones, I found that each had a nameplate on the front of it. Using a scrap piece of brass and some punches, I created my own. The edges of the brass were ground down with a grinding wheel and I drilled holes for the brass nails that would hold the plate on the front of the box. I then eyeballed the placement of the lettering and punched "Old West Detonator Calif. 1881" into the brass. After cleaning it up a little bit, I eyeballed the placement of the plate on the front of the box and attached it using some brass nails.
After finishing the box with a blow torch, the bolts, wing nuts, and plunger were installed. Some scrap bell wire was also attached in order to finish off the look.