During one of my random instagram stalking session, i stumbled upon a picture of a really cool floor mat in the shape of a moustache. I instantly decided i'm going to make one for myself. Using a towel was my first thought, so i stayed with that. Searched the house for an old black towel but didn't find any, so i asked my mom if i could use one of the darker shaded towels she had. Well, as expected, she warned me of dire consequences if i cut any of her new towels :P Thus i ended up using a old red towel and came up with this funny looking floor mat :)
Step 1: Things I Used -
- A towel
- A jute sack
- Old book covers
- Sewing machine
- A pair of scissors
Step 2: Making the Template -
- I used the outer covers of 3 old books and fixed them together by stapling them as seen in the picture.
- Using a googled picture of a moustache as reference i roughly drew a moustache.
- What you have to keep in mind while sketching the moustache is- the fat 2 parts of the moustache should be bigger than your feet.
- Once i was satisfied with the proportions of the sketch, i cut it out.
- Turns out , the book covers were quite colourful. It was a surprise seeing the other side of it.
- So the template's done.
Step 3: The Cover -
- I placed the template on the towel and marked out the outline using a chalk.
- Next step is to cut out the piece but remember keep extra spacing around the outline and cut.
- TIP - the more the spacing around, the better. It can be trimmed later, according to the need.
Step 4: The Base -
- Same procedure as done on the towel, place the template on the jute sack, outline it with a chalk and cut.
- This time on the outline without the extra spacing.
- If i would do this project again, i would use a rubber base, that is cut out the base from rubber sheets like car floor mats, etc.
- This would make the mat sturdier and hold shape better.
Step 5: The Finale -
- As you can expect, i placed the jute cutout on top of the towel cutout and started folding the towel along the jute sacks cutout.
- I made flap like cuts a sharp curves to fold better.
- Once in place, stitched them together neatly using the sewing machine.
Step 6: Last Step -
- The last step left to do is- turn it over and put it down on the floor.
- ADMIRE IT :)
Hope you guys liked it, thank you :)