This is my first instructable, so let me know if something is not clear.
A few years ago, I found a cover that I really liked, but it was twenty or thirty dollars. I'm a tightwad, so I found fingernail polish that looked similar to the holographic quality of the cover and painted the phone with it.
For four dollars, I had a phone that looked like the expensive case.
The nail polish stood up to the wear for months before I removed it and changed the color.
Step 1: Gather your supplies.
You will need:
1. Cheap kitchen sponge. Cheaper the better, they have smaller holes and create a better finish.
2. At least two colors of nail polish. Make sure the polish is not transparent. The polish should cover completely with two coats. You can use this method with other types of paint on other items. I like the polish because it's cheap and has a lot of lasting power.
3. Scissors, to cut the sponge.
4. A surface to work. I use a piece of paper, usually junk mail, if I think I'll be messy.
5. Nail polish remover and a cloth to use with it. I do not recommend cotton balls because of the lint. I use cheap baby wipes to wash my face and reuse them for nail polish removal when they have dried. This is just for clean up, if you need it.
6. The item you are painting. This can be almost anything. If you are using nail polish though, it should be small. The polish dries fast.