Introduction: Onion Vadai
Vadai is a common term used for different types of savoury, deep fried snack food. In most of the Vadai recipes, the batter is prepared by mixing the ingredients with water, where as here I have used onion paste to make the batter. h
Hence the name Onion Vadai.
Please go through the following steps on how to make the Onion Vadai.
Step 1: Make Onion Paste
- Take about three medium sized onions and remove the dry skin
- Cut the onions into pieces
- Make a rough paste using a mixer-grinder and keep in a medium sized bowl, which will be used to make the batter.
Step 2: Add Flour to Onion Paste
- Measure about half a cup of rice flour and one cup of Gram flour
- Add the rice flour and gram flour to the onion paste in the bowl and mix together
Step 3: Add Other Ingredients
Add the following ingredients to the mix in the bowl
- One teaspoon of Red chili powder (adjust to your own taste)
- One teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- Half a teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- Half a teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Mix all these ingredients together with the flour and make a thick batter. There is no need to add water. If you find the batter to be runny, add a little amount of flour. If it is very thick, add more onion paste to the mix.
Step 4: Shape the Batter and Deep Fry
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is heated, take about a lemon sized batter in your hand
- Make a flat round shape with your fingers. Do not make it thicker, otherwise the inner portion of the Vadai may not cook properly
- Add the flat shaped batter into the hot oil in the pan and deep fry
- Turn it over with a ladle or strainer so that both sides can be fried uniformly
Step 5: Serve Hot With Coconut Chutney
- You have to deep fry the Onion Vadai till the outer shell turns into deep brown. Otherwise the inner portion of the Vadai may remain raw.
- Break the first one in half and check. If required deep fry for some more time. Strain excess oil
- In Southern parts of India, we use banana leaves for serving
Serve hot with coconut chutney and enjoy
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.