Introduction: Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese
Tonight I was feeling like making the ultimate comfort food: Mac and cheese.....in the slow cooker. This was absolute heaven.
CAUTION: Clearly this is not the greatest thing to be eating if you are watching your weight...unless you can tweak it a bit to make it less...well...fatty, cheesy, and greasy, while still maintaining the incredibly high deliciousness factor ;)
You will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil or cooking spray, such as Pam
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (or margarine), melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded Italian blend cheese -- I used the Kraft Italian blend.
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni, partially cooked (I boiled it for 5 minutes so it was just slightly tender, but not completely cooked)
- Black pepper, to your own taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese -- I actually used a blend of grated parmesan, romano and asiago.
Note*** You will need at least a 4 quart slow cooker; anything smaller and you will need to cut the recipe by half.
Step 1: Prepare the Slow-Cooker
Grease the inside of the slow-cooker with the olive oil or cooking spray.
Step 2: Mix the Sauce
Combine the milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter (I used margarine), and salt in slow cooker. Whisk until smooth.
Step 3: Add the Macaroni and Cheese.
Pour in your elbow macaroni and the Italian blend cheese. Mix gently to combine.
Step 4: Cheese It Up!
Sprinkle the top of the mixture with the parmesan cheese. I used a mixture of parmesan, asiago and romano cheeses.
Cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, then reduce to LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the sauce is set in the center and the pasta is tender.
Optional*** Fry some bread crumbs with butter or olive oil and sprinkle on top of the finished macaroni. I didn't do this step, but I might try it next time :)
Step 5: Woooohoo, It's Done!!
This stuff makes amazing leftovers too.
Mmmm....Looking at this picture makes me want some right now!!