Introduction: Oogie Boogie Man Comes to Life
Creating Oogie Boogie from scratch. I drew out a rough sketch, measured my model's shoulders and height to his neck, then added an extra eight inches on the bottom to give myself space to work with later. I didn't have a pattern, so the sketch was my only resource in planning out what I wanted the body to look like. Adding folds and contours will come later using elastic thread and coffee to paint in creases or aged corners to the seams.
Step 1: CONSTRUCTION
After sketching, measuring my model, then cutting material, pulling the pieces together was like molding the ideas into physical form. This took time, altogether 1 week from start to finish.
Burlap unravels, using glue for the seams first helped keep the edges together on the body. Turning the piece inside out for the gluing, then right side out to hand sew the edges with nylon thread.
The head piece began as a straw hat. After cutting it to change it's shape, I added the burlap, which was shaped like a large cone. Jewelry wire was twined around scraps of burlap and placed inside the pointed part of the head. More scraps were added to add volume, continuing to add shape to the head piece.
Harsh brows were sewn into the face by reaching in and under the hat to add thick twine. sewn into the head piece from the outside, the scowl too shape. Window screen & nylon thread is used for the eyes & mouth. Once the eyes were cut from three layers each of window screen, they were sewn onto the head piece.
Next, my model had to get into the costume so I could attach the body to the head. I knew I wanted the mouth to be the place my model could see out and breathe. When attaching the head to the body, this lifted the space where the armpits are, so I would make sure the armpit area is not too fitted next time.
Eventually my model was able to sit while I continued shaping the body by sewing in puckers with nylon thread.
Step 2: DETAILS
Yarn was used to add detail and elastic was sewn in where I wanted some bounce and give. Yesterdays coffee was painted to add "moobs" and add to the illusion of the underbelly area (mind you my husband is thin). The underarms and mouth were weathered with the coffee as well, then the entire costume was set outside to dry on two chairs.
Alas! Still, we noticed the body and arms were see through. We found a neutral colored jumpsuit @ Goodwill, pinning burlap to the belly and backside area.
For the feet, my model wore neutral colored combat boots which I wrapped with burlap and hot glued it in place (not to the boot-just burlap to burlap). This was last minute.
Things missing: The bugs coming from the seams and the glow in the dark spray paint to complete the project.
We ran out of time, I started too late, with five people to dress up for Halloween. Next time I will decide sooner that I am going to create. It had been a while (8years since I had made costumes), so this was an excellent re-entry to return to celebrating with the tribe.
Step 3: Time to Oogie~
Mission complete. The outfit had extra room in which my husband wore a jumpsuit & taped a throw blanket around his tummy. Otherwise, the cut & added contouring of elastic created creases where needed along with shading from the coffee staining.
When we update this project bugs & glow paint will be added.
Happy creating and share what you can do too~
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.