At oomlout we are focused on producing "delightfully fun open source products" this commitment to open source extends to our manufacturing process as well. So what follows is step by step what we go through to fulfill an order using our Arduino Controlled Servo Robot - (SERB) kit and an order size of 30 as an example.
You will find everything you need to get up and making your own SERB's in semi industrial volumes, ideally you won't decide to. the real purpose of this Instructable is to act as a repository for our methods, jigs, and tricks and to help anyone looking into producing similar style kits. (or simply for those who like to see how a product is made).
updates to come
This will be an evolving Instructable to be updated with new tricks as and when we come up with them. Hopefully slowly changing from the small tabletop factory we now operate towards something much grander.
The steps to follow
We have broken down our manufacturing process into five main categories each with sub-steps.
- Before we Start - Tools, materials and other little bits needed before commencing. (steps 1 - 3)
- Laser Cutting - Taking large 4' x 8' sheets of acrylic and turning them into the individual SERB parts squares. (steps 4 - 9)
- Hardware - All the supporting elements going from mad heaps of bolts and stacks of Arduinos into nicely labeled and organized envelopes. (steps 10 - 14)
- Instructions - From on screen to lovely printed booklets. (step 15)
- Packaging - Putting it all together and getting it ready to ship. (steps 16 - 18)
Not looking to build your own? Lovely pre-packaged kits are available from oomlout.com (here)
Step 1: The Product
We will be producing 30 Arduino Controlled Servo Robot - (SERB) - kits. The SERB is our open source Arduino powered robot platform.
Details on how to make your own can be found- (here)
Or if you'd like to purchase a kit they can be bought from our online store - (here)