Too many party's to attend and no more original gift idea's. Start making cool candles which can be made to fit everybody's likings. For this present we made 2 'cups of coffee topped with some whipped cream and cinnamon' candles and a 'stack of Oreo cookies' candle.
Don't forget to add pictures in the comments of your creations.
Step 1: Materials:
- 5 candles
- crayons for coloring your wax
- 2 coffee glasses
- coffee ground
- cooking pan, for melting the candles au bain marie
- round silicon molds for the fake cookies
- melting pot, for holding the candles during melting
- hot glue gun
Step 2: Melt the Candles
- Break the candles in order to split the wax from the wick.
- The last piece of candle can be removed by cutting it in half.
- Keep the wicks, we will use them in the candles we're about to make.
- The candles are melted bain marie.
- When the candles are completely melted, transfer the wax to another cup for mixing.
- The wax is now ready for coloring.
Step 3: Coffee Candle
- Start with gluing a wick to the bottom of the cup using a hot glue gun.
- Use a toothpick or something similar to keep the wick straight.
- Depending on the size of your cups melt enough wax in order to fill them.
- Once the wax is melted mix it thoroughly with black and brown crayons (approximately 50-50).
- Pour the colored wax into the coffee cups.
- Melt enough wax for the whipped cream (plus some extra).
- Let the melted wax cool down.
- Once it is solidified a little start stirring the wax until you obtain a nice cream.
- Put the cream on your coffee. We made two different toppings.
- I use as a rule of thumb 1 crayon for 3 melted candles.
- Try out your crayon on paper before you use them in your candle or you end up with dark purple coffee like me.
- The purple coffee had lines on the cup due to fast solidification of the wax. Our second attempt we pre-heated the cup to prevent these lines.
- For extra aroma add a little bit off coffee ground to the melted wax.
- Finish the candle with cinnamon.
Step 4: Oreo Candle
- Melt enough wax for 4 biscuits.
- Once the wax is melted mix it thoroughly with black crayons.
- After mixing pour the wax into the cup cake molds.
- Once the wax is solidified but still warm remove it from the mold.
- Add your design to make the cookies look exactly like Oreo biscuits.
- Make whipped cream the same way as for the coffee.
- Put the cream between two biscuits.
- With some kind of tool make the cream look nice.
- Make a hole through both cookies.
- Tie a small knot in the wick.
- Put the wick through the first cookie.
- Add a little bit wax on top of the first cookie, we did this by lighting a candle and dripping wax on the cookie.
- Put the second cookie on top.
- Cut the wick to length.
- Make a mold for your cookie using sugru of something similar. This makes your cookie much more like the real thing.
Step 5: Wrap Up Your Gift
Once your candles are finished it's time to wrap up your gift and enjoy the party you are about to attend.
- This instructable was inspired by some diy candles we found on youtube, especially this one and this one.
- We didn't have stuff at our disposal for making a mold of a real Oreo cookie, but in the future I will definitely do that for much better results.
- Add enough crayons for coloring. For example, the Oreo biscuits are a little too light, which could have been solved with more crayons.
- Let your imagination be the limit. We're already thinking about sculpting some things using the 'whipped cream' method for some future presents.