Introduction: Organizational Desk Tidy
These desk tidies are extremely versatile as they are able to be arranged in any way desired, can be used in drawers as dividers or by themselves and multiple can be made without much more effort.
You can put whatever you want in these desk tidies, not just stationary. Its not just a desk tidy but also an everyday storage device. Its use is all up to you!
Step 1: Design
A design for this desk tidy can be created on a number of platforms, however for this version, 2D design was used.
Dimensions are shown on image.
For 2D design some key things to remember;
- For what is to be cut, a red outline is needed, if anything extra is wished to be engraved, use a black outline.
- On 2D design, the black background can remain when using bound fill. This can add unnecessary time to the project.
Step 2: Laser Cutting
The design was loaded on the laser cutting software, and printed 3 seperate times.
Some key things to remember;
- Make sure all properties are correct to the polypropylene material and desired thickness.
- If polypropylene starts to smoke and burn, check intensity on software or if necessary glass clarity on laser, and try again.
- Make sure work is held down if not already flat.
Step 3: Marking and Folding
In order for the work to fold properly, a thin engraving using a pen or penknife (or any sharp material that will not completely cut the material), can be used to mark the folds shown in the image.
Make sure all folds are towards the inward square, as shown in the image.
Step 4: Assembly
2x4 mm were drilled on each of the tabs.
Rivets used to assemble and connect the desk tidies.
Double sided tape can also be used to connect and assemble the desk tidies.
Now you can rearrange and use your desk tidy for whatever you wish.