Introduction: Origami Abundance Hen
Origami is a creative craft to make. I decided to make something useful so I could enjoy it much longer. Here is an abundance hen from fabric that serves as a basket for any small trinkets, food, or candy. It does not require many items to make and you can use paper, cloth napkins, or hankies. This little hen would make a practical gift box for any small item.
Step 1: Supplies
Here is a list of supplies:
- 1 (12 X 12) or larger Piece of paper, fabrics, napkins, cloth napkins, hankies (preferably 2 sided colors.) or use 2.
- Iron on interfacing the size of cloth you will be making. (Omit if not making a napkin yourself.)
- Glue for eyes and head piece and red under the chin area.
- 2 Black buttons or felt for eyes.
- 1 Small red piece of felt for head.
- Raffia for nest.
- Sewing machine, only if you are making the napkin yourself.
- Needle and matching thread to sew buttons.
- How to fold the abundance hen here: http://www.origamispirit.com/2011/01/03/video-on-how-to-fold-an-origami-abundance-hen/.
- Iron and ironing board if using fabric. Makes it easier to fold.
If you are making your own napkin you will need 2 contrasting fabrics and 2 pieces of interfacing.
Step 2: Directions for Making the Napkin
If you are making your own napkin here is the link on how to make it: Steps 2 - 7: https://www.instructables.com/id/Origami-Earring-Caddy/#step2.
Step 3: How to Fold the Abundance Hen
Here are the pictures and the video on how to fold the abundance hen:
I recommend you to follow the pictures and watch the video a few times. Towards the end it is a little tricky. I could not follow it so I improvised.
I will be folding the hen with paper. For cloth it is the same except the folding of the head piece. I altered it for my modifications as shown in the pictures. I like my version better because it is more realistic.
Step 4: Eyes and Head Piece
Look at the pictures and cut out the head piece and part under chin.
Cut out eyes or use small buttons.
Step 5: Raffia
Take a small ball of raffia and place it in the bottom of the basket.
Step 6: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
The abundance hen will make an adorable gift box for any small item. I will be adding this as an option for my smaller Christmas gifts this year. They are quick, cheap and easy to make. I will be adding more origami to my tutorials in the next few days so please check back.
Thank you for stopping in and have a splendorous day!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.