I have included origami diagrams, detailed instructions and a video.
(Note:Some of the images may be recycled from my previous origami instructable).
Step 1: What You Need
You can use any paper that you like; origami paper, printer paper, tissue paper etc. I like shiny paper; if you don't have any you can use the wrapper from a chocolate bar.
If you are not using origami paper or paper that is perfectly square you will need scissors to cut it.
Making a square
To make a square from a rectangular piece of paper, fold the bottom left corner up to meet the top edge and cut off the bit of paper that is left over (see images below).
Step 2: Bird Base: Crease Paper
- Place paper colour side down.
- Fold bottom edge up to meet top edge, unfold.
- Fold right edge over to meet the left edge, unfold.
- Fold bottom left corner up to meet top right corner, unfold.
- Fold bottom right corner to meet top left corner, unfold.
Step 3: Bird Base: From Square to Triangle to Square
(note each numbered step corresponds with an image).
Starting with an open sheet . Fold bottom right corner up to meet top left corner forming a triangle.
Fold the bottom left corner to meet the top right corner, bringing the dots together
forming a smaller triangle.
Open out the top flap and pressing down to form a square by
bringing the top right corner over to the top left corner ( the pink dots come together) and
the centre of the top edge (the yellow dot) becomes the lower left edge of a square.
Repeat step 3 on this side by bringing the top left corner over to the top right corner ( the pink dots come together) and the centre of the top edge (the yellow dot) becomes the lower right edge of a square.
Step 4: Bird Base: From the Square to a Bird Base
We are making creases again in this step.
- First of all, you need to make sure you have your square facing the right way, such that the corner on the right side can be opened up (its the corner with the pink dot from the previous step).
- Now fold the top tip and upper right edge down on an angle to the centre (yellow dashed) line.
- Then fold the bottom tip and lower right edge up to the centre (yellow dashed) line.
- Fold the left corner (now shaped like a triangle) to the left. See image below.
- Unfold. Your creases should look the same as in the picture.
- Flip the paper over and repeat on the other side.
Grab the top layer of paper from the right corner, and pull it towards the left, folding on the crease running vertically. Press the edges down so that they meet at the centre and fold where the creases were made.
We are repeating step 7 on the other side by pulling the left corner to the right
which opens it up and then press to fold on the creases
This forms our bird base.
Step 5: After the Bird Base: the Devil's Nose and Brow
10 Pocket fold the two bottom flaps up at an angle.
11 Fold the back flap down towards the back.
12 Fold the front flap part of the way down the front.
13 Fold the front flap part way up to the centre crease to form the nose.
14 Fold the top flap down along the centre crease over the nose to form the brow.
15 Fold the brow up at an angle, forming individual eyebrows.
Step 6: Devil's Beard and Forehead
16 Fold bottom flap up towards the front to centre line.
17 Fold the same flap down from the point that it meets the bottom of the nose, forming the beard.
18 Fold the top centre forehead peak down toward the back.
Step 7: Devil's Horns and Jowls
19 Pocket fold the horns downward at an angle.
20 Pocket fold the horns back upward at slightly lower crease.
21 Fold the bottom left and right corners back forming a rounded face.
22 Fold the face in half, crease the forehead by folding it forward and back, open face and fold the forehead towards the back.
Step 8: Devil's Mask
- Fold part of the nose under forming lips.
- Curl the beard.
- Bend the horns forward.
- Curl the tips of the horn forward.