Introduction: Outdoor Cooking : Cooking Rice Inside Coconut
If you got stranded in a tropical place without any cooking utensils, you can very easily cook your food inside coconuts and bamboos.
In this instructable let us see how can we cook Rice inside a coconut
Step 1: Items
- A large sized, husked coconut
- About 100 grams of Rice
- About 25 to 30 grams of Jaggery. It is optional.I have added jaggery for the rice to be more tasteful
Step 2: Soak Rice
- Before cooking Rice inside coconut, soak in water till the rice grains are soft
- Drain out water and place it on a wet cotton cloth so that the rice grains remain moist and soft
Step 3: Make a Plug From a Stick
- Cut a 2 ft long stick from a tree which is not toxic. Here I have cut a stick from a Guava tree
- Sharpen one end for about 2 inches as shown in the picture
- Remove the bark from the stick if possible
Step 4: Mix Rice With Jaggery
- The jaggery we have is a large one weighing about 300 grams.
- Scrap out about 25 to 30 grams of jaggery from the large piece
- Transfer the moist rice to a plate and add powdered jaggery to it and mix well
Step 5: Open the Coconut
- After removing all the fibre from the coconut, you can see 3 eyes on one end
- With the help of a knife, open up the eye at the center and make a hole. You can do it with the sharpened stick also
Step 6: Put Rice Mix Inside Coconut
- Make a small funnel with a piece of paper and place it over the hole
- Place small amounts of rice mix in the funnel and push with a stick inside. Alternately, you can take small amount of mix in your fingers and push it inside the coconut
Step 7: Plug the Hole
- Matured coconuts have some empty space and water inside. If you find that you can not put all rice inside due to the water, drain out a little and keep rest inside
- Once the rice mix is filled inside coconut, plug the hole tightly with the sharpened edge of stick we made earlier
- The 2 ft long stick will also help us in rotating the coconut in fire
Step 8: Make Fire
- Dig a small hole in an open area
- Collect dried pieces of sticks and branches from surrounding area
- Break sticks in small lengths and fill the trench
- Using some old news paper or dried leaves, start fire
Step 9: Place Coconut With Stick in Fire
- Once the fire is started, place the rice-filled coconut with stick on fire and keep the fire going
- You need to keep the fire going for more than half an hour for the rice to cook
- From time to time keep rotating the coconut in fire using the long handle
- The outer shell of the coconut will be completely burned and the outer surface of the coconut meat will also come in contact with fire
- Do not worry about that and keep the fire going. The fire will burn and blacken only the outer surface of the coconut meat and the inside will remain white
- After half an hour remove burned coconut from fire
- Push the stick inside and take out. It will come with few grains of rice.
- Check whether the rice is properly cooked or not and water is still inside.
- If not keep the coconut on fire for some more time
- Once the rice is cooked, take out the coconut from fire and allow to cool
- Put out the fire and fill the hole with the removed earth from it
Step 11: Scrap Out Burned Surface
- Once the coconut is cooled, remove the stick
- Using a knife remove burned shell still attached to the surface
- Scrap out burned outer surface of coconut meat as much as possible
Step 12: Cut Open and Eat Rice With Coconut
- Cut open the coconut. Inside you will find the cooked rice as well as the cooked coconut meat
- The rice in my case is 3/4th done and edible
- Eat the cooked rice with chunks of coconut
Enjoy your Lunch and have fun...
Third Prize in the
Outdoor Cooking Contest 2017
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.