Nearly every time I ask my boyfriend what he wants for dinner he says ribs, fried chicken, or barbeque. Even when we don't have any meat at all in the house. It's also important to note that we do not own a grill! He's determined.
Last time we went grocery shopping, he really wanted to buy ribs, so I made up my mind to learn to cook them in the oven. I originally wanted to go the "sauce-the-hell-outta-them" route because I had read that was easier for beginners, but Tyler was jonesing for a dry rub. So I had to figure that out as well.
Needless to say, they turned out well and I can't wait to make them again!
Step 1: What you'll need:
- a rack of ribs (I used the "baby back" variety)
- a baking sheet
- cooling racks or other wire racks to keep the meat above the baking sheet
- spices for dry rub (recipe on next step!)
- an oven set to 300 F
Step 2: The Dry Rub
- 2 1/2 T chili powder
- 2 T ground cumin
- 1 T ground coriander
- slightly less than 1 T if using table or sea salt OR 1 T kosher salt
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 1/2 T freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder