Introduction: Oxidize Silver With Eggs
You can use the sulfur in eggs to darken silver
- Supplies: Egg, silver pieces, zip lock bag (or tupperwear)
- Hard boil an egg (about 15 minutes). You must complete the rest of the steps directly after the egg is boiled.
- Cut the egg in half, remove the yolk and place the yolk in a ziplock bag.
- Break the egg yolk up in the bag.
- Wash silver pieces, lightly wrap them in a piece of paper towel and place them in the bag.
- You could also place the silver directly into the egg. This will make the reaction happen faster but the color may end up uneven.
- Place the bag aside for 24 hours and then check to see if the silver is dark enough. If it is not, leave it for another day or 2.
- When the silver is the desired color, remove it from the bag, rinse with soap and water and buff.