In this instructable, I will be introducing DIY headphones. The purpose of this DIY is to apply physics knowledge into a real world DIY. For instance, headphones are a perfect example of sound waves. Sound Waves have many components, period, frequency, hertz.
Step 1: STEP 1: Gather Materials
- 28 AWG copper wire
- 2 neodymium magnets
- Sand paper
- Aux cord/ plug
- Alligator clips (optional)
- Plastic cups (2)
- Sticky Notes
- Electrical tape
Step 2: Step 2: Wrapping Coils!
The items you will need to complete this task will be the copper wire, glue stick, and tape.
- Grab around 3 feet of copper wire
- grab your glue stick and apply tape around keeping the adhesive side up
- Leave around 2 inches off so you can be able sand in the later steps
- wrap the coil on the adhesive side, then wrap as many times, but don't go over 50!
- Once that process is finished you should be able to slide off the tape with the coils wrapped.
Step 3: STEP 3: Sanding
For this step you will need your wrapped coils and sand paper.
- Before you start sanding, make sure you have at least 2 inches sticking out
- Grab your sand paper and start sanding the edges
- Keep sanding until all the red color strips are off and only copper is revealed
Step 4: Step 4: Assembling the Speaker Part 1
For this portion, you will need: One plastic up, 2 neodymium magnets, voice coil, and electrical tape.
- Grab the plastic cup
- With a ton of force, pull apart the two magnets
- Place one magnet on the inside and the other on the bottom of the cup
- With the cups bottom part facing up, place the voice coil on top so it's around the magnet
- Use 2 strips of electrical tape to secure
- Make sure that each ends of the coil are sticking up and out
- cross tape to be more secure.
Step 5: Step 4: Assembling the Speaker Pt 2
For this step we will continue on using the cup with all the components on it, but we are adding the aux plug.
- With the cup & voice coil attached on it, grab the ends that are sanded
- Grab your aux plug
- Grab one end and insert into one of the holes in the aux plug
- repeat the same thing for the end
Step 6: Step 6: Groovy Tune Time
Your speaker should be all set by now: you will need the completed speaker and an audio source.
- Grab the aux plug in and insert it into your phone
- play some groovy tunes
- you may have to move your phone to hear something