Introduction: PAN-FRIED GREEN CABBAGE & HAM
Quick and easy, the Green Cabbage & Ham is pan-fired in a Gluten-free Teriyaki sauce along with carrots and onions and Golden Raisins. You can substitute purple cabbage for a more colorful dish, and make it with or without the Teriyaki sauce..
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 Servings)
- 3 TBS EVOO (Cold-pressed, unfiltered, California is the best)
- 1/2 medium sized head of Cabbage
- 1 medium to large Carrot
- 1/2 medium Red Onion (not pictured)
- 1/2 small Red Chili Pepper, seeded & deveined (unless you like it really hot) (optional, either way)
- 8 to 10 .oz Maverick Uncured Smoked Petite Ham (I used 9 ounces)
- 1/2 medium Granny Smith Green Apple
- 1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TBS Coconut Aminos Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce (optional)
- 2 TBS Sun-Maid California Golden Raisins
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns, coarse ground
- Salt to taste (I did not need it)
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Remove core and cut cabbage into thin shreds
- Shred carrot
- Thinly slice 1/2 red onion
- Remove seeds and veins and finely chop 1/2 Red Chili Pepper if using
- Core and dice 1/2 Granny Smith Green Apple
- Slice & dice ham
- Measure out and set aside 2 TBS golden raisins
- Measure out and set aside Caraway Seeds & ground pepper corns
- Add 2 TBS (start with just 2) EVOO to a heavy non-stick skillet (one that has a tight-fitting lid) over medium-high heat (This old Paula Dean 12" skillet is one of my favorite pans)
Step 3: DIRECTIONS
- When the *2 TBS of EVOO is hot, add the shredded cabbage and carrot and the sliced onion and red chili; stir to coat with oil, then cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, reduce heat to medium, and add wine; simmer for another minute.
- Add ham, apple, vinegar, raisins, caraway seeds and ground pepper. Simmer for about 2 minutes; then taste liquid. If you are satisfied with the taste and want to skip the Teriyaki Sauce, you can do so, and continue to cook the mixture (uncovered) as is until the vegetables become tender (about 3 to 5 minutes longer)
- HOWEVER, I felt the dish was a little bland so I added the 2 TBS of Coconut Aminos GF Teriyaki Sauce. I really liked the effect, and continued to cook the mixture until the vegetables reached my desired degree of tenderness..
- *After cooking the vegetables for a few minutes I felt that they were too dry, so I drizzled the 3rd TBS of EVOO over the top of the mixture; then stirred to blend.
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
A good, old-fashioned, country dinner (with a twist)! Pan-fried cabbage & ham; homemade jalapeno-cheddar cornbread, and a chilled glass of Angry Orchards's hard Crisp Apple cider!
Bon appétit, y'all
(The nutritional analysis for this recipe has been prepared to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer).
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.