Step 3: Motor Drive System.
1. First of all, i bought few of these wooden bar from local
hardware shop. As you can see from the picture, the thinner
one measuring at 12mm X 12mm and the thicker one measuring
at 26mm X 12mm.
2. Cut the 12mm X 12mm wooden bar in to 20cm length and you
need 12 of them to form the square box structure. I leave a
space of 5cm from the base of the box to form the supporing
3. Cut the 26mm X 12mm wooden bar in to 20cm length. You need 2
of those to be nail at the base of the box so that you can
secure the motor. As you can see from the picture, i use the
wire to secure the motor at the base.
4. I cut out another 12mm X 12mm wooden bar measuring at 15cm
and nail it at the side of the box. This serve to secure the
motor in the vertical manner.
5. I bought two small hinge and make the upper portion of the
etching machine measuring at 33cm X 20cm box by using the
remaining wooden bar and some creativity. This is the
portion where it will move up and down with the drive of
motor. Make sure you lift up about 3cm clearance from
the top of the box and 33cm X 20cm box and then fix the
hinge. The hinge need to be fixed at the center of the box so
that both the end can move freely up and down. As for
the 3cm spacing, you can use the remaining wooden bar and
nail them together to form the desire spacing.
6. I am using the car power window to drive this machine. As we
know that the car power window motor couple with gear head.
The gear head being specially treated and its hard. I am not
able to drill through it. So i use an aluminium bar and
split it in to half to form a semi circle bar. I drill two
holes on the aluminium bar to a spacing that is close enough
for me to put on screw so it can hold the gear head.
7. After that, i use a copper bar measuring at about 11cm with diameter of 7mm. This copper bar need to be hard enough to sustain the weight and move the upper portion of the box freely. This copper bar being fitted in between the aluminium bar and upper portion box. So as to create up and down motion.
8. As for the rest, you are on you own.....
9. You can buy the motor speed controller from local hobbist store. Any motor speed controller with 12VDC will do. But need to take care of the current handling portion. Because you don't what to cook your speed controller transistor....... The motor speed controller i used is a simple PWM with MOSFET which can handle 10A of current..... You can also get the speed controller from internet freely available.....
Do let me know if you need more pictures of this machine.... Thanks for viewing.