Welcome to another OMC project tutorial! If you like making jewelry and have some experience using the Othermill, then this is a great project for you! This style of necklace offers a wonderful way to get creative and artistic with double-sided machining on the Othermill.
This necklace has four LEDs on the back of the pendent, which provide a beautiful glow around the outline of the pendant and highlights the pattern on the front of the necklace by illuminating the etched traces.
This Instructable has the files needed for three different designs: one has a blank front, one has a circle design on the front, and one has actual bird patterning on the front. Download these files in the next step!
Please feel free to use this technique to design your own pendents by mixing and matching your favorite shapes with your favorite colored LEDs. If you do design your own unique necklace, please post pictures of your creation in the comments. All of us here at Other Machine Co. would love to see them!
Step 1: Tools & Materials & Files
You'll need the following for this project:
- An Othermill
- 1/64" flat endmill
- 1/32" flat endmill
- Double-sided tape
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Solder Paste
- Jewlery Tweezers
- Needle-nose Pliers
- FR1 boards (single and/or double sided)
- Surface mount LEDs and resistors
- Jewelry making supplies
- Jump rings
- Sterling or Steel wire for wrapping (you can use stripped hookup wire!)
- Chain, Chord, and/or Beading thread
- CR1025 3 Volt battery
- A surface-mount battery holder for the CR1025
- Single-sided hummingbird, no pattern on the front (hummingBirdNoFront.brd)
- Circle pattern for the front (circles.brd)
- Double-sided pendent with bird pattern on front (hummingBirdWithFront.brd)
- Clasp (claspBoard.brd)