Holmes Smokehouse Pecan Smoked Andouille Sausage simmered in a hot creole mustard sauce. OMG. Hot, Hot, Hot, and Good, Good, Good!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 10 ounces Holmes Smokehouse Pecan Smoked Andouille Sausage (none better) sliced on a bias.
- 1 teaspoon Badia Blackened Redfish Seaoning (I know this isn't a fish dish, but the seasoning is excellent - use Creole Seasoning instead if you have it).
- 2 TBS quality EVOO (divided)
- 1/2 large Vidalia or Red Onion, sliced thin.
- 1//2 large red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips about 2" long.
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, smashed, peeled, and finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1/4 teaspoon Dixie Crystal Kosher Salt
- 1 TBS finely chopped fresh Basil leaves.
- 1 San Marcos Adobo Chipotle Pepper finely diced or chopped.
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Chicken Broth or stock.
- 1/4 cup *Creole Mustard Sauce.
- 1 TBS Red Wine Vinegar.
*MUSTARD SAUCE: I make my own:
- 1/4 cup good brown grainy mustard
- 1 TBS chopped onion (red if you have it)
- 1 TBS good old Grandma's Molasses
- 2 TBS White Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons San Marcos Chipotle Adobo Sauce (right out of the can)
Mix everything together, store any left over sauce in the refrigerator in an air tight glass container.
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Heat 1 TBS EVOO in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat and get everything else ready to go:
- Slice the onion and red bell pepper,
- Slice the Andouille Sausage on a bias, about 1/2 to 3/4" thick slices.
- Slice and dice the Adobo Chipotle Pepper.
- Smash, Peel, and finely chop the garlic.
- Mix together the spices: (1/4 tsp smoked papricka, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 tsp Dixie Crystal Kosher Salt)
- Fold & chop the fresh Basil leaves.
- Measure out the Unsalted Chicken Broth or Stock.
- Place the mustard sauce on the side of the stove.
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS
- Brown the sausage in the preheated skillet with 1 TBS of EVOO; about 4 or 5 minutes per side.
- Remove Sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add 2nd TBS of EVOO and add onion, bell pepper, and spices and herbs, and Saute until peppers and onions are becoming soft; add chopped garlic and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Add Chicken Broth or stock, 4 TBS mustard sauce, vinegar, and adobo chipotle peppers.
- Stir for a couple of minutes, or untill sauce begins to thicken, then add browned sausage back to the skillet.
- Simmer until sausage is heated through, stirring occasionally (about 2 minutes).
- Serve immediately (I like to serve over a good blend of rice).
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
A plate of Pecan-smoked Andouille sausage simmered in a spicy hot Chipotle Adobo Sauce served over a blend of black & mahogany rice and accompanied with a frosted mug of Michelob's Cactus Lime Beer! WOW! (And if this is not spicy enough for you, I dare you to add a second San Marcos Chipotle Adobo Pepper to the mix)!
Nutrition: I have prepared the nutritional values of this recipe to the best of my ability using the My FitnessPal Recipe Analyzer.
(The nutrition of my Creole Mustard Sauce is also included; it will probably add about 45 Calories per serving to the recipe).