Step 2: Prep your ingredients
- Pick the leaves off the stems.
- Wash thoroughly and let drip-dry. Unless you have a fancy salad-spinner-centrifugal-force machine. Then do that.
It took me a while to learn that pine nuts don't get toasted in a toaster. Bad idea. They take forever to brown, then once you blink, they're black. You toast pine nuts in a dry, hot pan!
Since this is my preferred method of ingesting pine nuts, I toast them before adding them to the pesto. Totally optional. Do what you like. But if you want to be awesome, you'll toast them like me.
- Heat empty pan over high heat
- Add pine nuts
- Toss continuously until golden brown and aromatic
- Peel your garlic. That's it! You'll use a food processor to smash it all up.
Buttery, delicious, artisanal Parmesan cheese - once I tasted the good stuff, I was a convert for life.
- Shred your cheese before adding to mixture for best, most consistent results