Introduction: PIGEON PEAS & RICE
This nutritious recipe is a variation of the Pigeon Peas & Rice that I enjoyed while on a Holiday in Barbados in 1988. The Bajans usually make their Pigeon Peas & Rice with Salt Beef, and frequently serve it as a favorite dish at Sunday luncheons, along with fried fish (spicy Fried Flying Fish stuffed with Chives & Onions is absolutely delicious) or a meat stew. Since I try hard to minimize my intake of salt, I used Uncured Ham instead of Salt Beef..
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (4 SERVINGS)
- 1 cup canned *Dry Pigeon Peas
- 1 cup Rice (used Lundberg's Wild Rice Blend)
- 3 cups water
- 1 TBS Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 lb Uncured Ham, Diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon Chives
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (Since I did not use Salt Beef)
- 1/2 Large Tomato, Diced
- 1/2 Medium Sweet Onion, Diced
- 1 Green Onion with Top, Diced (for Garnish)
NOTE: Although El Jibarito's Dry Pigeon Peas are labeled in this manner, they are not "dry." The can does include the liquid they were canned in. (There are also several brands of Green Pigeon Peas, but I have not tried them yet).
Step 2: DIRECTIONS
- Add 1 TBS Oil to a heavy pan or Dutch Oven and heat over medium heat until hot
- Add Diced Onions (and Red Pepper Flakes if using) to hot oil and stir-fry for a few minutes, or until onion begins to become translucent
- Add Pigeon peas (with liquid), diced ham, herbs, and 2 cups of water to the pan; increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Boil for 2 or 3 minutes, then add the rice, the remaining cup of water, and the diced tomato. Bring ingredients back to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered until the rice absorbs all of the water. (This took about 40 to 45 minutes on my old electric stove).
Remove pan from heat and serve..
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
Garnish with the diced green onions and serve.
I enjoyed a nice summer salad along with my Pigeon Peas & Rice, and accompanied my supper with a small glass of Captain Morgan's Black Spiced Rum on the rocks (in honor of that wonderful holiday I once spent in Barbados)!
Step 4: NUTRITION
I have estimated the nutrition of this recipe to the best of my ability, using MyFitnessPal's Recipe Nutrition Analyzer.