Introduction: When Life Hands You Pistachios, Paint Them Gold.
Artist Corner...The Pistachio Phenomenon
I just wanted to know where do all the pistachio shells go? I hear there's an island the size of Texas somewhere in the Pacific, oh wait, I think that one is made of nothing but plastic. I also hear that some of the jewelry and art I have purchased are made with or used with plastic or some other kind of mysterious material.
I suddenly realized something. What if we could re-use what we buy and make it into something else useful? what If we could make an impact on the environment while doing it? I also want to have fun with this so here is what came to mind.,
At First I thought it was a dumb idea, then as I began to think about it, it slowly became something brilliant. Recycling and protecting the environment hasn't always been my forté but lately it has been on my mind like something that needs to be done. I have been searching for something different and challenging that requires a lot of patience and effort and Pistachio jewelry is "So Far So Good". Eco Jewelry is on the rise and as an Artist I would love to share my latest creations.
All I need now are some creative like-minded individuals to build a team with! So for now, let me hit you with some Fun facts:
Pistachios are one of the oldest flowering nut trees, and are one of the only two nuts mentioned in the Bible (Genesis 43:11). Humans have eaten pistachio nuts for at least 9,000 years.
Thanks to their high nutritional value and long storage life, pistachios were an indispensable travel item among early explorers and traders, including travelers across the ancient Silk Road that connected China with the West.
Ok, so it is good to know that they have lasted this long, now I know my product is secure and sustainable
FOIL CONTAINER OR PLACEMAT TO DRY SHELLS
MIXING BOWL (FOR Painting)
ACRYLIC PAINTS & CLEAR LAQUER PAINT
EARRING HOOKS OR COPPER WIRE
BEADS & VARIOUS CHAINS AND HOOPS.
1. FIRST, BUY SOME PISTACHIOS AND GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU EAT ENOUGH TO MAKE A LARGE BOWL WITH.
2. BOIL SOME WATER IN A POT ON MEDIUM AND PUT THE PISTACHIO SHELLS IN. THEY WILL EVENTUALLY TURN LIGHTER IN COLOR. YOU MAY ALSO ADD A DASH OF DISHWASHING LIQUID OR VINEGAR TO CLEAN THEM THOROUGHLY.
3. AFTER ABOUT 30MIN-40MIN, DRAIN THE SHELLS AND PUT THEM ON A PLACE MAT TO DRY FOR A COUPLE HOURS.
4. THEN, MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT THE SHELLS COMPLETELY AS THE INSIDES LEFT IN CAN GET MOLDY IF NOT TAKEN OUT.
5. AFTER THE SHELLS ARE SEMI-DRY, GET A THUMBTACK OR A SMALL NAIL AND POKE HOLES AT THE TOP OF THE SHELLS.
6. AFTER ALL THE SHELLS HAVE HOLES IN THEM, PLACE THEM IN A FOIL TRAY AND DRY THEM IN THE OVEN FOR ABOUT AN HOUR.
7. TAKE THE DRIED SHELLS AND PUT THEM IN THE MIXING BOWL OF DESIRED PAINT.
8. AFTER PAINTING, LET DRY FOR A DAY. THEN DESIGN WITH COPPER WIRE, BEADS OR CHAINS OF CHOICE.