Introduction: PULLING IRON From GOLD BEACH
Hard to believe this pristine beach has tons of iron in the sand ! !
Gold Beach in Oregon had a lot more Iron in the sand 20 years ago.
This instructable shows you how to separate and collect the Gold Beach Iron using a simple Magnet.
Step 2: TOOL YOU NEED
Harbor Freight sells a magnetic pick-up and drop tool for under $10 dollars.
A dry soda bottle makes a convenient container for holding the iron fillings.
Step 3: PULLING Iron From 'Gold Beach'
Step 4: Seperation of IRON From Sand
- Drop the bundle of Sand and Iron on a flat rock see picture 1 & 2
- Pick the Iron out of the Sand on the first rock see picture 3
- Drop the Iron and sand on a second flat rock see picture 4
- Pick the Iron out of the sand on the second rock see picture 5
- Drop the Iron and tiny bit of sand on the third flat rock see picture 6
- Take the IRON filings and place them in a collection bottle see video
Step 5: IRON in a Bottle
Here I removed 200 g of filings from the bottle, in order to demonstrate the magnetic attraction.
Step 6: Where Does Ocean Iron Come From ?
Iron is found in sand all over this world some sites like Gold-Beach Oregon have a lot
and some almost non at all..
NASA estimates forty metric tons of dust some of them Iron, pepper this planet each day.
You can find Iron in national Forrests, on sandy paths or your own back yard.
There are other theories and religious texts that espouse different reasoning..
I cannot tell which is the actual but the Iron is here for those who want it..
Step 7: IRON FUN
When Iron filings and Magnets get near each other
there is a strong mutual attraction.
Here are some Fun suspensions using an old lamp clamp and two magnets
in addition to the collected Iron sand filings.